lichess.org
Donate

Letter to the Editor (NiC) concerning chess960

My letter to the editor has been published in the latest New In Chess. I wasn't too happy that the last magazine in 2022 was full of chess960^^

https://i.imgur.com/L9RJ4lA.jpg
My goal is clear, first I will learn chess and when I master it 960 ;-)
If you don't like chess960 just don't play it. To be honest I fail to see what exactly is the the point of the letter.
The latest NiC magazine in 2022 was full of this hyped variant. „The future.“

Someone has to contradict. If you like just play, that’s ok. But it won’t be the future for the majority.
Your entitled to your opinion. As is the highest rated player, Magnus, who reports he is bored of chess at classical time controls and thinks the computer assisted opening prep is out of hand. So far the trend is to more events with accellerated time controls, with 960 seeing a bump, but not nearly as big as the faster standard events, but we will have to see what happens.
There must be many chess960 enthusiasts but I'm not one of them either. The best I can come up with when I'm looking for a reason for my reluctance to embrace chess960 is a weird psychological one. I wonder if anyone else shares it.

Briefly: I love to explore the vast complexities of chess, and I love the myriad of paths where it can lead. But I like to do it "from home". I like to start with the familiar and see where the game goes from there. I don't like being confronted right at the start with unfamiliarity. I don't like to sit down to play a game and immediately go "huh?? what's this??".
Just have a look at chess-calendar.eu/ . Good luck finding a chess960-tournament. Anybody can organize such tournament but nobody does. I think this says enough about what to expect in the future about chess960.
It's interesting to watch and listen to the elite players in a 960 event. They're *excited* and having *fun* - free of the grind of modern, top-level chess (i.e., mind-numbing memorization and waiting for your opponent to slip). Interpret as you wish.
I don't see why this always is so controversial. Regular chess is not dead and will not die. 960 or other variants are not threatening your precious original chess. It is the mother of all these variants. Variants allow you to escape the rules and the prep of regular chess if you wish. Enjoy what you enjoy and don't deny others enthusiasm for something different from what you like since its not hurting you or infringing on your own freedom to choose. I think this is yet another example of where chess on an abstract level represents something fundamental to the human condition.
@peppie23 said in #7:
> Just have a look at chess-calendar.eu/ . Good luck finding a chess960-tournament. Anybody can organize such tournament but nobody does. I think this says enough about what to expect in the future about chess960.

Exactly.

My problem is that the 960 tail tries to wag the dog constantly IMHO.

Man, it’s not the future, it’s the past!

This topic has been archived and can no longer be replied to.